Safety is a big part of the VPI Cave Club. Because of this, we must impose certain restrictions while caving under the VPI name. These specific ordinances must be followed by all members.
A mirror of these guidelines can be found in this infographic.
By caving under the VPI Cave Club banner, I attest that
- I have been self-monitoring my own health at home.
- I do not have any of the following:
- Fever, difficulty breathing, chills, sore throat, cough (in the last 24 hrs)
- Headache, muscle pain, loss of taste or smell (in the last 24 hrs)
- Diagnosis of COVID-19 (by test or physician) (in the last 14 days)
- Housemates with symptoms or diagnosis (in the last 14 days)
Please avoid all contact with landowners. Additionally, you CAN NOT go caving if you are not able to receive permission over the phone.
- Avoid known bat hibernacula during the hibernation season
- Aim for a distance of at least 10 feet from bats (minimum of 6 feet)
- If you see a bat cluster of 5 or more:
- Follow all state social distancing guidelines
- Limit caving trips to family, household, and germ-family groups
- Understand that social distancing is impossible underground
- Minimize trips with a higher likelihood of needing rescue, e.g:
- large number of inexperienced cavers
- riskier caves
- Club gear will not be available until further notice, including helmets, lights, rope, or vertical systems
- If you do not have your own gear, or cannot find someone to lend, DO NOT CAVE
- If you borrow gear from someone, decontaminate for at least 48 hours
- Club signout will NOT be operating until further notice
- Signout with a caver who is not caving that day
- Include time you leave, which cave, path in cave, ALL the people in your party, and expected return
- Include landowner contact info and access information for lesser-known caves
- If you cannot find a caver to sign out with, DO NOT go caving
Missing a signout time with an individual is just as serious as missing it at the signout board
- Try to get in touch with the party
- IMMEDIATELY call the emergency list
- Emergency call list