Equipment, in normal semesters, can be borrowed from the club. The following equipment is required to go on a caving trip.
- Helmet with chinstrap (must be worn at all times)
- Three sources of light
- Large trash bag (for dirty clothes after the trip, and for warmth in the cave)
Here are articles of clothing that are recommended for beginner cave trips. This list is NOT all-inclusive, and it is recommended you ask your trip leader for suggestions. Note that cotton clothing is not recommended, as some caves can be damp. Instead, try to find clothes made out of polypropylene, nylon, or other synthetic material.
- Boots (preferably with lug soles and ankle support)
- Heavy jeans
- Thick socks
- Long sleeve T-Shirt (extra shirts recommended for more insulation)
Please remember to bring a change of clothes for the ride back! You WILL be dirty!
Each trip has different requirements for equipment. As you get more experienced, you may want to bring additional items on your trips. Your trip leader can keep you more informed.
- A bag (you don’t mind getting dirty) to hold equipment in
- Food (make sure to consult other trip guests about allergen concerns)
- Seat harness or webbing
- Rappel device
- Rigging gear (ropes, rope pads, webbing, etc.)